The finalists have been announced for the 2018 Dulux Academy Design and Decorate Challenge ,which sees experienced decorators designing a new wallpaper pattern.
The finalists are:
- Stuart Yates – A decorator since 1976, Stuart, from Chesterfield, Derbyshire, chose birds on his design this year as he feels they are ‘on trend’.
- Karen Julien – Now working for Highbury Homes, Karen from Huddersfield, started decorating at the age of 15. Her design is ‘full of colour and is such a simple design it can be hung horizontally or vertically’.
- Miles Newby – Has already had a brush with fame as the wallpaper hanger on The Generation Game with Bruce Forsyth, now Miles from Crouch End, London, is going for glory with his 3D cube design
- Nick Adonis – Starting his career in London’s Belgravia and Kensington, Nick has always admired the great wallpaper houses and is now taking a pride in restoring the art of hanging perfect paper with his entry
- Andrew Bigwood – Using his skills as a photographer to design a unique paper featuring an striking American Thunderbird car, Andrew believes wallpaper is on the way back as a popular choice with homeowners seeking big statements on feature walls.
Finalists have had their designs shared online, with the public voting for their favourite – accounting for 50% of the design mark – and now they will go head to head in a practical challenge.
Held at the Dulux Academy in Slough on 4th October, the finalists will see their wallpapering skills put to the test in front of the judging panel, which consists of Neil Ogilvie, Chief Executive Officer at the Painting and Decorating Association; Mark Rigby, Skills Development Consultant at Dulux Academy; and Louise Stevenson, National Account Manager at Graham & Brown.
The judges will then chose a winner, based on both their design and practical application skills, with input from Marianne Shillingford, Creative Director at Dulux, on the submitted designs.
The challenge is held to promote International Wallpaper Week and as part of the promotion the Dulux Academy is offering 50% off its six wallpapering courses across the UK, when booked before 7th October 2018.