Set on a large plot of land in Louth, Yew Tree Cottage was a tired-looking building in desperate need of renovation. Having undergone various changes over the years, the exterior of the property featured a variety of mismatched substrates, both new and old. This, coupled with a recent extension to almost double the size of the building presented a difficult task when it came to turning this traditional property into A modern home.
The project was a challenge, due to the uneven profile of the building after the old render had been removed back to an uneven substrate. The Colour Render Company was appointed contractor and renderer James Marklew selected Johnstone’s Trade and its Stormshield High Performance Render System.
Ghost Writer’, a stylish, warm, grey shade from the PPG Voice of Colour range was selected the colour for the project.
When it came to the render system itself, the team specified the Johnstone’s Trade Stormshield High Performance Render System.
Applying the Johnstone’s Trade High Performance Render System
Using the first step in the render system, James and the team started with a layer of Johnstone’s Trade Key Coat Primer, an adhesion coating for old and problematic substrates that helps to eliminate issues with suction control and poor key grip. They then built up the system, applying the following one layer at a time:
- Stormshield High Performance Basecoat – offering great tensile strength to prevent substrate cracking
- Stormshield Render Reinforcing Mesh Cloth – with a fibreglass, alkaline-resistant coating to provide reinforcement as well as flexibility, tying the system together
- A second layer of basecoat
- Stormshield Silicone Enhanced Primer – sealing in alkalinity of previous layers to avoid reaction with the top coat, while blinding out the background with its high pigment
- Stormshield Silicone Enhanced Topcoat – a highly flexible and crack-resistant render
The entire render system offers a life expectancy of up to 30 years and is easy to clean and maintain.
Inside the cottage, Johnstone’s Trade products were also chosen. For the woodwork, Aqua Water Based Satin, a quick drying coating, was applied to give a durable and low odour finish. For the walls and ceilings, a variety of paints were used, including Jonmat Premium Contract Matt, Acrylic Eggshell, with its anti-yellowing formula, and Acrylic Durable Matt.